October 14, 2020
By Chiro One Wellness Centers
It’s time to get the most out of fall with this healthy, plant-based dinner the whole family will love. Rich in fiber and antioxidants, this simple recipe, courtesy of Shuangy’s Kitchen Sink, is an autumn must-have.
- 2 acorn squash
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1 cup homemade vegetable broth
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts or almonds
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, and then cook whole acorn squashes for 5-10 minutes until softened.
- Once cooled enough to handle, use a knife to remove the cord and cut the squash in half. Remove seeds and strings with a spoon.
- Drizzle your coconut oil and a pinch of salt on the meat of the acorn squash, then bake for another 20 minutes.
- Next, cook the quinoa in vegetable stock.
- While cooking, prepare your other ingredients. Chop your onion into small cubes and roughly chop your hazelnuts.
- In a frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Cook onion for 2 -3 minutes or until slightly softened. Add hazelnuts and toast slightly. Next, add your quinoa to the mix and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once combined, add baby spinach and cook until wilted.
- Finally, remove squash from the oven and stuff with the quinoa mixture. Add extra pomegranate seeds and avocado for an extra kick!