Living with Back Pain?
Take the first step toward relief.
Up to 65 million people will be affected by back pain, making it one of the most common pain symptoms – and a major thief of joy. Find relief from back pain and get back to doing the things you love.
Common Symptoms of Back Pain
- A sharp, shooting or stabbing sensation
- Aching or burning
- Pain radiating down the leg
- Numbness or tingling, particularly in the extremities
Movements like lifting, twisting, and even standing and walking can worsen back pain symptoms.
Is Your Back Pain Chronic Pain?
Doctors categorize back pain in these three ways:
- Acute back pain: this is pain which comes on suddenly and usually lasts a few days to a few weeks
- Subacute back pain: this type of back pain can appear suddenly or over time, and typically lasts 4 to 12 weeks (about 3 months)
- Chronic back pain: may come on quickly or slowly, lasts longer than 12-weeks, and occurs daily – to the point of disrupting your life
Chiropractic care is effective for treating pain at all stages – acute, subacute, and even chronic pain.
Common Causes of Back Pain
Back pain can be caused by your habits or routine, or by an accident or injury. Some of the most common causes of back pain our chiropractors treat include:
When the soft center of a spinal disc pushes through a crack in the tougher exterior casing it can irritate nearby nerves causing pain, numbness, or weakness in the limbs. The pain and neurological dysfunction of a herniated disc can increase over time.
Repeated heavy lifting and awkward or sudden movements can strain your spinal ligaments and the muscles of your back. Those who are inactive or in poor physical condition can experience frequent, even constant, strain on the back.
A narrowing of the spinal canal which can cause pressure on your spinal cord or the nerves that go from your spinal cord to your muscles. Spinal stenosis can happen in any part of your spine but is most common in the lower back.
In this condition, pain is caused by damaged discs, and can range from nagging to disabling. It can be caused by the drying out of the disc over time, daily activities, sports and injuries.
Common Risk Factors for Back Pain
While back pain can happen to anyone, there are several factors that can put you at risk for experiencing back pain.
Inactivity/Lack of Exercise
Extended Sitting or Standing
Repeated Bending, Twisting, or Lifting
Accidents & Injuries
When to Seek Treatment
When to Seek Treatment for Back Pain
While we believe all pain should be evaluated, back pain that checks these boxes could be serious, and is likely to require care. Consult a doctor if your back pain:
- Causes numbness and tingling in your back, neck, or extremities
- Is severe and does not improve with medication
- Is the result of a fall or injury
At Chiro One, we don’t believe anyone should have to live with pain. If back pain is disrupting your life, chiropractic care from Chiro One can help. Learn more about how we diagnose pain, and what to expect at your first chiropractic appointments.
3 Tips for Preventing Back Pain
Good posture can go a long way toward preventing pain. Here’s what to know about protecting your posture:
- Avoid slouching. When standing, your head should be above your shoulders, and the top of your shoulder should be over the hips
- When standing for long periods, rest one foot on a low footstool to reduce strain on your lower back (be sure to alternate your feet)
- When sitting, keep your feet flat on the floor and your knees in line with your hips
- Bring your phone or mobile device up, don’t tilt your head down to see the screen
When your posture or ergonomics are poor, little habits can add up to big pain. Prevent it by keeping these tips in mind:
- Choose a seat with good lower back support (or try adding a small pillow), armrests and a swivel base
- Keep knees and hips level with one another
- Change position frequently – every half-hour is ideal
- Avoid heavy lifting, if possible.
- If you must lift something heavy, let your legs do the work. Keep your back straight — no twisting — and bend only at the knees, and hold the load close to your body.
Extended sitting, standing, and lack of activity are top causes of back and neck pain, so make exercise a part of your routine
“I suffered from so much pain - low back & hips, mid back, upper back & neck, shoulders. Also severe sciatica pain...I am now able to bend, walk freely, reach my arm around to my back... Highly recommend!”
– Deb S.
Find Relief with Help from Chiro One
Chiro One’s gentle chiropractic care delivers strong patient outcomes with exceptional levels of patient satisfaction. Here’s how Chiro One’s non-surgical, drug-free approach effectively treats the leading causes of back pain:
Thorough Upfront Evaluations
To assess your physical health, understand your daily routine and goals
Gentle Chiropractic Adjustments
To relieve pain and improve joint mobility and function
To help you build strength, improve your range of motion, flexibility and balance, anddevelop muscle memory for longer lasting results
Get Started with our $
New Patient Offer
Take the first step toward relief.
Read more about
Back Pain & Chiropractic Care
Get tips, insights and information from Chiro One's own doctors