A Berry that Packs a Punch
March 18, 2020
By Chiro One Wellness Centers
Here is a recipe for Elderberry Syrup you can make to start reaping its immune-boosting benefits right now. Also, while natural elderberry syrups are available at health stores or online, they usually will run you around $15 or more for 4-8 ounces. However, this recipe makes at least 16 ounces for under ten dollars.
- 4 cups of cold distilled water
- 2 cups of dried elderberries
- 1 cup of raw honey
- Combine 2 cups of dried elderberries with 4 cups of cold distilled water in a heavy saucepan.
- Bring the water to a boil, reduce heat, and cook uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Remove from the heat and let steep for 1 hour. Strain mixture into a large measuring cup covered with cheesecloth, reserving liquid and discarding the used berries.
- Allow the syrup to cool, then stir in 1 cup of honey. Pour mixture into a sterilized container.
- Seal and store in the refrigerator for up to three months.
Suggested Use: Take 1/2 to 1 tablespoon daily for adults to prevent illness; or if the flu does strike, take 1/2 to 1 tablespoon every 2 to 3 hours, instead of once a day, until symptoms disappear.