3 At-Home Stretches for Better Flexibility
April 15, 2020
By Chiro One Wellness Centers
Want to work on your flexibility? No problem!
Chiropractic care, an anti-inflammatory diet and proper sleep all contribute to better muscle health. But if you want to get started on increasing your flexibility right now, it’s time to get moving. Here are some simple daily stretches (that you can do at home!) to get you started.
(Remember—these stretches should create a bit of tension, but shouldn’t hurt!)
The Standing Hamstring Stretch
Works your back, neck, glutes and hamstrings.
- Stand straight with your feet hip-width apart. Keep your knees slightly bent and your arms relaxed by your sides.
Note: If you need to, feel free to use a pillow or mat beneath your knees.
- Bend forward at the hips, lowering your head to the floor. Exhale as you do this, and keep your head, neck and shoulders loose.
- Wrap your arms around the backs of your calves, right above the ankle, and hold for 60 seconds. Remember to breathe.
- Bending your knees, slowly roll back up to a standing position.
The Full-Body Side Bend
Works your hips, inner thigh and obliques.
- Begin by kneeling on the floor with your legs together. Keep your spine straight and core tight.
- Extend your left leg out to the side. Keep it straight, and don’t bend the knee. Your leg should be perpendicular to your body.
- Extend your right arm overhead and rest your left arm on your left leg. Gently bend your torso and arm to the left side of the body. Keep your hips facing forward.
- Hold this stretch for 60 seconds.
The Standing Neck Stretch
Works the neck, specifically trap muscles.
- Stand relaxed with your feet shoulder-width apart, spine straight and chest out.
- Place your left palm against the crown of your head.
- Apply a gentle hold as you try to tilt your left ear to your left shoulder.
- Hold for 30 seconds before switching sides.
Always consult with your doctor before beginning a new exercise regimen, especially if you have a serious medical condition, physical limitations or experience chronic pain.
Getfrom Chiro One!
"*" indicates required fields