3 Posture-Building Yoga Poses
January 14, 2020
By Chiro One Wellness Centers
There are plenty of ways you can better your posture in 2020—most importantly, routine chiropractic care, habit changes, a proper diet and more. But, what is another valuable tool in your arsenal? Exercise! Building strength in your core and lower back can be especially useful for maintaining proper posture. Let’s take a look at three helpful yoga poses to get you started.
Legs Up the Wall
- Sit flat on the ground with your side close against the wall.
- Lean back onto your hands, spinning your body slightly and sliding the back of your legs up the wall. Recline onto your back with your feet facing the ceiling.
- Slowly inch your bottom closer to the wall, keeping your hands in place on your stomach.
- Close your eyes and relax. Hold for two to three minutes.
- Lay on your back with your arms at your sides, palms down. Put your feet flat on the floor with your knees up.
- Lift your hips to the sky, on the inhale, while pressing down on the soles of your hands. Hold for three breaths.
- Release this tension on an exhale, lowering your body one vertebra at a time.
- Repeat three times. Once complete, sway your knees gently back and forth to release any tension in the spine.
- Starting from the Plank Pose, press the hips up and back. Press your chest towards your knees.
- Make sure your heels are hip-width apart, and your fingers are spread wide with weight evenly distributed through your hands.
- Relax your head and neck, and shoulders away from your ears, sending your gaze towards your toes.
- Stay here for anywhere between 30 seconds to a minute.
Always consult with your doctor before beginning a new exercise regimen, especially if you have a serious medical condition, physical limitations or experience chronic pain.