Chopped Salad with Salmon & Creamy Garlic Dressing
One of the most delicious meals you can make, and one that is nutritious for your bone health, is the salmon salad. Salmon is rich in Vitamin D and is easy to get at your local grocery store for a fair price. This salad contains a fantastic variety of vegetables, a great source of protein and Omega-3s (yay Salmon!), and a creamy yogurt garlic dressing. This recipe is great for dinner guests, or for lunch throughout your workweek. Check out the recipe below, or you can view it from EatingWell.
1 pound salmon fillet
½ cup low-fat plain yogurt
¼ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
2 teaspoons reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
1 medium clove garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
8 cups chopped curly kale
2 cups chopped broccoli
2 cups chopped red cabbage
2 cups finely diced carrots
½ cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- Arrange a rack in the upper third of the oven. Preheat the broiler to high. Line a baking sheet with tin foil.
- Place salmon on the prepared baking sheet skin side down. Broil the salmon, while rotating the pan from front to back only once, until the salmon is opaque in the center, (8 to 12 minutes). Slice the salmon into 4 portions.
- While the salmon is cooking, whisky yogurt mayonnaise, lemon juice, parmesan, parsley, shives, tamari (you can substitute with soy sauce), garlic, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Mix kale, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, and sunflower seeds in a large bowl.
- Add ¾ cup of the dressing and toss the salad to coat.
- Divide salad into 4 portions and top each with a salmon portion, with a tablespoon of the dressing.
Serving Size: About 3 Cups Salad Plus 3-4 Oz. Salmon
409 calories; protein 31.9g; carbohydrates 18.7g; dietary fiber 5.8g; fat 24.2g; saturated fat 4.2g; cholesterol 62.8mg; vitamin a iu 10301.9IU; vitamin c 109.5mg; folate 145.7mcg; calcium 235.4mg; iron 2.7mg; magnesium 97mg; potassium 1151.6mg; sodium 356.4mg; thiamin 0.2mg.
4 Fat, 3 1/2 Lean Protein, 2 1/2 Vegetable