Neck Pain Relief Solutions for On-the-Go Professionals
September 13, 2021
By Chiro One Wellness Centers
If you’re a busy professional, then you’re likely all too familiar with neck pain, back pain, or tension headaches from bending over a laptop or monitor. And that’s not even factoring in the toll that work stress can take on the body. Working while moderately or severely uncomfortable is challenging, to say the least, but here’s the good news: there’s something you can do about it.
Just a few easy chiropractor-recommended stretches can make a significant difference in how you feel at work. These exercises can be done at the office, at home, or on the go.
Apply the following techniques to help ease your discomfort and alleviate your tension headaches, neck and/or back pain. Your ability to perform and focus will improve as the pain fades away.
Start with A Postural Awareness Check-In
Before we get started, take a look at how you naturally sit and stand. Pay attention to the alignment of your neck with your shoulders and hips, especially while sitting in a chair.
- If you notice your head is slightly forward or your upper back is beginning to hunch forward, attempt to sit up straight with your shoulders pulled slightly back and down. Pull your chin inwards so your head sits in a more neutral position above your spine.
- If you notice your hips are scooped under and you’re slouching, attempt to create a subtle c-shaped curve in your low back by arching forward a bit and redirecting the weight towards your “sit” bones.
These 2 simple changes in your physical posture can help prevent tension in your neck, upper back, and lower back. To learn more, check out the blog Perfecting Your Posture During Your Daily Habits.
Easy-to-Apply Neck Stretches that You Can Do Anywhere
Now for the real action! The following exercises can be done while seated anywhere to relieve tension headaches, neck aches, and upper back pain.
Just a few minutes each day can help relieve muscle strain, reduce your stress levels, and improve your circulation.
Upper Trapezius Stretch
- First, take a seat and bring your right hand behind you across your back. Allow your shoulder to relax toward your hip.
- Next, place your other hand on top of your head and gently pull your ear towards your shoulder.
- Hold for 15-30 seconds, then move to the other side.
Levator Scapulae Stretch
- Sit up tall in a chair, and let your left arm hang down toward your side.
- Rotate your head to the right, looking down, and grasp the back of your head with your right hand.
- Gently pull your head down, to the right. Hold for 15-30 seconds, and repeat on the other side.
- Do 2-3 times per side for an effective stretch.
Maximize Your Healthy Results – Find a Chiropractor Near You
While these stretches are the start of a great routine, working with a highly-skilled chiropractor will maximize your results. With regular chiropractic care and adjustments, you’ll be able to reduce pain, improve posture, and balance your body. Create a long-term plan and live a more health-conscious life today.