Kid-Friendly DIY Mardi Gras Masks
February 25, 2020
By Chiro One Wellness Centers
What You’ll Need
- Card stock or a thick paper of your choice
- Large popsicle sticks
- Glue, clear tape
- A pencil
- Decorations of your choice:
- Glitter or rhinestones
- Fake pearls or beads
- Markers or paint
- The traditional colors of Mardi Gras are purple for justice, green for faith and gold for power!
- New Orleans held its first Mardi Gras parade in 1837—however the elaborate floats the parade is known for didn’t hit the streets until 20 years later.
- Begin by finding a template for your mask online, paying particular attention to size and shape.
We recommend doing a simple Google search or checking out a crafting website like
thesprucecrafts.com—they have some really nice ones to get you started! After you find a style you like, print it out.
- Using your template, trace the outline of your mask on card stock. Then cut it out, including
the eye holes—really take your time, because this part can be tricky! If you have an X-Acto knife available to you, it’ll definitely speed things up.
- Next, align and glue a large Popsicle stick to the back of your mask on either the right or left side,
depending on which you’d prefer to hold.
- After your mask handle has dried, you can start decorating! Get really fun with it—markers,
stickers, glitter, beads. Excess is the name of the game with Mardi Gras celebrations!