How-to: Slow Cooker Chili
November 12, 2019
By Chiro One Wellness Centers
Looking for the perfect comfort food for crock-pot season? How about an oldie but goodie that is filling and healthy? Pull out your slow cooker and gather your ingredients for this hearty and healthy variation of chili.
- 2 lbs. of your choice of meat (keep it healthy with ground turkey, chicken, lean beef or go meatless)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Lawry’s seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 cans of your choice of beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes, NOT drained
- 1 can corn kernels
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 4 cups organic beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
Optional Toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions, sour cream or sliced olives
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook meat, onions and garlic in the skillet until meat is no longer undone.
- Place meat mixture inside a large slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with optional toppings.
Have leftovers? No problem. Find an airtight, freezer-friendly container and store it in the freezer for up to three months.