A Quick Way to Help Your Achy Back
July 10, 2018
By Chiro One Wellness Centers
Named after Swiss neurologist Alois Brügger and invented in the 1950s, Brugger’s Relief Pose is a simple exercise you can do a few times throughout the day to strengthen your posture and relieve back pain. Brugger’s Pose is also a great tension reliever. It’s most commonly practiced while seated, but can be modified to be done standing or even while riding in a car.
For those who work in a seated position for the majority of the day, practice Brugger’s Relief Pose for 10 seconds every 20 minutes or so. Here’s how:
- Hold your head up high
- Sit with your legs slightly apart
- Turn your legs out slightly
- Rest your weight on your legs and feet and relax abdominal muscles
- Tilt your pelvis forward and raise your breastbone up
- Keep your hands palms-up
- Turn your arms slightly outward
- Hold this position while taking deep “belly” breaths for 10 seconds
You might feel a little silly trying it out at first but the payoff of Brugger’s Relief Pose is worth it. It may help you avoid that tense, strained and knotty feeling that’s so common at the end of a workday. Do your back a favor and set the timer on your computer or phone to remind you that it’s time for Brugger’s Relief Pose.