8 Ways to Fight Off These Common Adult Health Concerns
May 16, 2018
By Chiro One Wellness Centers
we discussed just a few of the health problems Americans are up against.
Now that you know the problems, it’s time to talk prevention. Remember,
the only thing more powerful than treating sickness or injury is making
sure you’re never afflicted in the first place. Let’s take a look at some helpful
prevention tips and techniques.
- Eat healthy fats. Not all fats are unhealthy! Avoid trans fats at all cost, instead opting for monosaturated fats (like organic avocados), omega-3 fatty acids (like wild-caught Alaskan salmon) and saturated fats
(like seed-fed eggs and coconut oil).
- Up your heart rate with HIIT. High Intensity Interval Training, HIIT, is a type of exercise that alternates between short bursts of high-impact activity and longer, low-impact activity. It lowers blood pressure and increases heart strength and muscle.
Headaches and Migraines
- Check your posture. Strained muscles can cause some pretty awful headaches. Pay attention to your posture throughout the day; remember, your ears should be even with your shoulders and no hunching!
- Get more water. Dehydration headaches are real. Stay hydrated by drinking half of your body weight in ounces every day. If that sounds like a little too much, talk to your doctor.
Work-Related Pain and Injury
- Keep it moving. If you work a sedentary job, take one to three-minute breaks every half hour to stand or fit in a quick walk. Take every opportunity to move, like hitting the stairs or walking to the furthest printer.
- Protect your posture. When doing work that requires repetition, keep a mechanically ideal position. Avoid holding your head too far forward, twisting and bending the body or hunching over. Keep that spine straight!
- Get good sleep. Most Americans are sleep deprived. Sleep provides the muscle regeneration, energy and rest you need to get through your day with a refreshed body and clear mind. Most adults should be aiming for between 7-9 hours a night.
- Make time for you. Life can be so busy, especially if you’ve got a family to look after, but it’s crucial to set aside time for yourself and the things you enjoy. Designate 15 minutes to a half hour a day to hobbies you enjoy—puzzles, exercise, crafting, tinkering in the garage, you name it!
The Ultimate Form of Preventative Care
Preventative care is the key to optimal health, and the best place to start is with the spine. When there is a misalignment in the vertebrae of the spine, known as a subluxation, brain-to-body communication
is thwarted. Chiropractors remove any misalignments that result from daily wear and tear and stress, offering your body the opportunity to heal. It can be helpful for managing many unexpected conditions, including PMS symptoms, stress management, diabetes, asthma, ear infections and more.